Table of Contents
The Benefits of Incorporating Probiotics in Your Baby’s Diet
Probiotics are live bacteria and yeasts that are good for your baby’s health, specifically the digestive and immune systems. These friendly bacterias can boost the digestive and immune system functions and improve the overall health of your baby. It is essential to introduce probiotics in your baby’s diet to help them build a strong gut microbiome to fight infections and diseases. Here are some benefits of incorporating probiotics in your baby’s diet.
- Helps strengthen the immune system: Probiotics can help your baby’s immune system mature by boosting the production of antibodies and stimulating the immune system’s response to harmful bacteria and viruses.
- Improves gut health: Probiotics can help prevent and treat gut ailments such as colic, diarrhea, constipation, acid reflux, and gastroenteritis. It helps balance the gut microbiome, which is essential to help keep your baby’s digestive tract healthy and prevent conditions like irritable bowel syndrome and Inflammatory bowel disease.
- Reduces the risk of allergies: Studies have shown that infants who have been given probiotics through breast milk or formula are less likely to develop allergies or eczema.
- Boosts brain development: Recent research indicates that probiotics may have a positive impact on your baby’s brain development. According to studies, infants who were given probiotics through breast milk or formula showed an improvement in cognitive abilities and memory retention.
- Helps fight infections: Probiotics can help fight infections, such as respiratory infections and ear infections.
- Improves nutrient absorption: Probiotics can help your baby absorb more nutrients from breast milk or formula, thus making it a valuable supplement.
Types of Probiotics for Infants
- Lactobacillus rhamnosus: This bacteria is commonly used in infant formula and may help in the prevention of eczema and diarrhea.
- Bifidobacterium lactis: This bacteria is commonly found in the gut and helps in producing vitamins and breaking down carbohydrates in your baby’s gut.
- Bifidobacterium bifidum: This bacteria is beneficial in the development of the immune system, has anti-inflammatory properties, and helps prevent infection.
- Lactobacillus reuteri: This bacteria is found in human breast milk and can be added to formula milk. It helps prevent and treat various gut ailments and is shown to reduce the incidence of colic.
- Streptococcus thermophilus: This bacteria helps in breaking down lactose in breast milk and enhances nutrient absorption.
How to Incorporate Probiotics in Your Baby’s Diet
- Breastfeeding: Breast milk naturally contains probiotics that help in strengthening the immune and digestive system.
- Formula feeding: Formula with probiotics is readily available in the market. Some of the popular brands include Similac Pro-Advance, Enfamil Infant Formula, and Gerber Good Start GentlePro.
- Yogurt: After six months, you can start introducing plain yogurt with live probiotics in your baby’s diet. Yogurt is also an excellent source of calcium and protein.
- Probiotic supplements: Consult with your pediatrician before giving your baby any probiotic supplements. Select a reputable brand, and choose the right dosage according to your baby’s age and weight.
Introducing probiotics in your baby’s diet can bring various health benefits, including improved gut health, boosted immunity, reduced allergies, enhanced brain development, and better nutrient absorption. You can start by breastfeeding or giving your baby formula with added probiotics. After six months, you can introduce yogurt in your baby’s diet. If you are planning to give your baby probiotic supplements, consult your pediatrician first. With adequate intake of probiotics, you can help your baby maintain a healthy gut microbiome and support their overall health.
The Benefits of Incorporating Probiotics in Your Baby’s Diet FAQ
What are probiotics?
Probiotics are live bacteria and yeast that are good for your baby’s digestive system. They are naturally found in your baby’s body and in some foods and supplements.
What are the benefits of probiotics for babies?
Probiotics can help improve your baby’s digestive health and immune system. They can reduce diarrhea, colic, eczema, and ear infections in babies. Probiotics can also help prevent allergies and asthma in babies.
When can I start giving my baby probiotics?
You can start giving your baby probiotics as early as the first day of life. Probiotics are safe for newborns and can help improve their digestive health.
What are the best probiotics for babies?
The best probiotics for babies are those that contain a combination of Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium strains. Look for probiotics that are specially formulated for babies and have a high number of live cultures.
How do I give probiotics to my baby?
You can give probiotics to your baby in several ways. You can mix probiotic powder or drops into breast milk or formula, or add them to your baby’s food. You can also give your baby probiotic supplements in the form of tablets or chewables.
Are there any side effects of probiotics for babies?
Probiotics are generally safe for babies and have few side effects. Some babies may experience gas, bloating, or an upset stomach when first starting probiotics, but these symptoms usually go away after a few days.
Do I need to consult with my pediatrician before giving probiotics to my baby?
Although probiotics are generally safe, it is always a good idea to consult with your pediatrician before giving them to your baby. Your pediatrician can recommend the best probiotics for your baby’s needs and ensure that they are safe to use.
Can probiotics be added to baby’s formula?
Yes, probiotics can be added to your baby’s formula. You can mix the probiotic powder or drops into the formula before feeding your baby.
Can probiotics be given to babies with allergy or eczema?
Yes, probiotics can be given to babies with allergies or eczema. Probiotics can help strengthen the immune system and reduce inflammation, which can improve symptoms of allergies and eczema. However, it is always a good idea to consult with your pediatrician before giving probiotics to your baby with any health conditions.
How long should I give probiotics to my baby?
There is no specific time limit on how long you should give probiotics to your baby. Some parents choose to continue giving probiotics to their babies until they are toddlers or even older. It is a good idea to consult with your pediatrician to determine the best course of action for your baby’s specific needs.
Recommended Products to improve Baby Health through Probiotics
Natureâs Way Primadophilus Bifidus
This product is an excellent pick for infants who are still breastfeeding. It contributes to strengthening their immune system by providing a balance of bifidobacteria in their gut. This is perfect for babies who easily suffer from colic or constipation-related problems.
Gerber Soothe Baby Probiotic Colic Drops
Babies who often cry excessively due to colic will benefit from this product. These colic drops contain a clinically documented bacteria type that helps ease colic by reducing the amount of gas in their tummies. Parents can add them to baby’s bottle or mix them with breastmilk or formula.
Pure Encapsulations Probiotic 5
This probiotic formula is very versatile and suits babies aged 6 months and above. The product contains five different strains that help to keep the baby’s gut balanced and healthy. Another great benefit is that it doesn’t contain any gluten, additives or other allergens.
BioGaia Protectis Baby Probiotics Drops
Uniquely developed by BioGaia, this product contains one-strain of lactobacillus reuteri that works well with babies and toddlers. It is safe and tested in clinical studies, and many parents can attest to its effectiveness when it comes to promoting digestive and immune support.
Happy Tummies Baby Probiotic Drops
These probiotic drops are a perfect match for newborn babies who need a little immunity boost and are very easy to administer. The drops contain lactobacillus rhamnosus and don’t contain any allergens or synthetics like sweeteners.
Mama’s Select Probiotics
This product is suitable for both breastfeeding and formula-fed babies and helps to promote total gut health by providing a range of probiotic strains. The formula doesn’t contain any allergens or chemicals, making it a great choice for parents who prefer natural products.
FloraTummys Baby Probiotics Drops
This clinical-grade probiotic product is a great choice for babies with sensitive tummies or colic issues. The formula has five different probiotic strains, which help to prevent bacterial infections, improve digestion and boost overall immunity.
LactoJoy Infant Drops
This product is ideal for babies who need help digesting milk proteins, are lactose intolerant or who have gas and bloating. It contains lactase, a digestive enzyme that helps break down lactose and other milk proteins. It’s a safe, gentle and natural solution for babies and easy to administer using a dropper.
Zarbeeâs Naturals Baby Immune Support & Vitamins
This highly effective product provides not only a range of probiotics for enhanced digestion, but it also contains vitamins A, D, C and zinc that help to support a baby’s overall immunity. The chewable tablets taste great and are very easy to administer.
MegaFlora for Baby & Me
This product is perfect for both expecting mothers and their babies. It contains probiotics that promote good digestive health, aids in nutrient absorption and strengthens a baby’s immune system. Another great benefit is that it contains vitamins and minerals that promote prenatal health.